Bring your drawings to life with one of the best 3D pens! These pens let you draw in three dimensions with durable plastic “ink”. Craft small toys, pieces of art, jewelry, and more. The possibilities are endless and 3D pens are safe to use for both children and adults. The best 3D pen models are low-maintenance and easy to learn, making them fun for all ages.
Looking for the perfect 3D pen for yourself, your children, or as a gift? We’ve found the 10 best 3D pens on the market today to help make your choice simple. The pens on our list will set you up for success as you dive into the world of affordable 3D printing.
Tips for Using 3D Pens
3D pens are essentially simple, handheld 3D printers. Like a 3D printer, 3D pens use a heating element to soften plastic filaments into a pliable consistency. Once it’s extruded, the warm filament cools very quickly, hardening in place. The result is that you can create free-form 3D objects.
Children and crafty adults love the freedom of using the best 3D pen to build whatever they can think up. But, it does take a little practice to make perfect. Here are some tips to get you started off right with your new 3D pen.
- The two most common filaments used with 3D pens are ABS and PLA filaments. ABS prints around 210C, while PLA prints around 180C. Many other filaments types print within this temperature range, but if you want to print with those you need the best 3D pen with adjustable temperature settings.
- 3D pens are relatively safe and similar to a hot glue gun. Because the tip becomes hot enough to burn skin, adult supervision is recommended for children.
- The best 3D pens have come a long way in ergonomics, but they’re still not as thin as a real pen. Larger, rounder 3D pens may work well for children, while adults will appreciate a slimmer design.
- Expect to troubleshoot your new toy. Jams are a common problem for even the best 3D pen brands. Read care instructions carefully and learn how to clean a clogged extruder.
- Your drawing surface is important to the success of your 3D drawing. Paper and cardboard are common surfaces to use with 3D pens. Some users prefer a clear plastic sheet, which can be placed over 2D drawings for easy tracing. Without the right surface, your creation may not adhere or keep shape.
Best 3D Pen Top 10 Comparison Guide
Reviews of the Top Rated 3D Pens
Of all the best 3D pens on our list, this is one of the most well designed. It features a thin body that’s made of 2 solid pieces of thick plastic. This body stays cool while you draw, and fits more like a real pen in your hand. The tip tapers, allowing you to see the extruder nozzle as you draw for more accurate results.
Another feature we really appreciate is the ultra-clear digital display. The background is black and the text is white, making it easier to read no matter where you use it. From this screen, you can monitor temperature and speed settings. Controls are placed in easy to reach places, including the adjustable speed setting. Unlike other 3D pens that only have a couple speed settings, this pen’s speed is set by a sliding button so you can get the perfect setting for each project. We also like that you can set this 3D pen to extrude without holding a button down.
Temperature ranges from 130 – 240C and is also adjustable by the degree. That means you can use both ABS and PLA, as well as exotic filaments that melt within that range. Customers had success printing with wood, PETG, and other uncommon filaments for even more unique projects. This is the best 3D pen for kids and adults alike who want to unleash their creativity with ultimate versatility.
This 3D pen makes drawing in 3D simple with its great design. The curved, ergonomic design fits comfortably in your hand. The tip is thickly insulated to keep you safe and your work area cool. This design makes this the best 3D pen for small children.
Instead of giving its users unlimited setting options, the Ipeson keeps things easy with three main buttons. You’ll use the two arrow buttons to load and remove filament, as well as to draw. A slider on the other side controls speed, much like the Soyan Professional 3D Pen. Choose between two heat settings: ABS and PLA. You won’t be able to use exotic filaments with this 3D pen, however, because you can’t control temperature by the degree.
Parents will appreciate that this 3D pen has jamming detection that shuts the unit off when a clog starts. This keeps a small mistake from becoming a big problem. The nozzle is also surrounded by a thick ring of insulating plastic to keep your child safe.
Ultimate freedom comes when you can use any filament your imagination calls for. This feature is especially important for adults looking to get serious about the art of 3D drawing. The eloquent MYNT3D Professional Printing 3D Pen reaches temperatures between 130 – 240C, adjustable in increments of 1 degree. That level of control means you can find the right temperature for almost any filament.
This pen has a sleek 3/4” thick design and super quiet operation. The long, thin shape gives you better visibility while you draw. With step-less speed control, you can make the minute changes needed for different parts of your project. This versatile combination makes it easier to do tricks like draw straight up. Get this best 3D pen for adults and experienced users who want to make truly impressive 3D art.
(Visited 17 times, 1 visits today)