The best 4K projectors offer 4 times the amount of image clarity and quality compared to standard HD projectors. This makes 4K projectors the perfect choice for hardcore gamers and movie buffs alike. There are a number of quality 4k projector models that claim to be the best. It can get confusing. This is why we are helping you with a our new 2017 guide for the best 4k projectors.
We compared the most important features, such as resolution, picture contrast, lumens, lamp life and price. We then narrowed our research to find the best 4k projectors to make your decision a confident and easy one.
Things to Consider Before You Buy
There are a few important specs to consider before buying one of the best 4K projectors:
- Resolution. This translates into the number of pixels that are displayed on the projector screen. More pixels mean more detail and a clearer image. The best 4K projectors are capable of producing around 8 million pixels, while standard 1080p HD projectors only produce about 2 million pixels.
- Picture Contrast. This is one of the most important factors to consider when buying one of the best 4K projectors. Picture contrast will directly affect your picture quality. The higher your projector’s contrast ratio, the deeper the blacks and clearer the whites.
- Lumens. They determine how bright a projector can get. You will find that the best 4K projectors have a typical light output ranging between 1,000 and 3,000 lumens. If your projector will be in a very dark room with little light, a very high number of lumens isn’t needed. However, if your room has ambient light (like a living room), then higher lumens are necessary.
- Lamp Life. The lamp inside a projector slowly deteriorates, resulting in a dimmer and less clear image. This doesn’t usually happen until about 3,000 to 6,000 hours of use. Keep in mind that replacing a 4K projector lamp can cost you several hundred dollars.
You will also want to pay close attention to the number and types of ports that each 4K projector has. Look for a projector with at least 2 HDMI ports, an auxiliary port, and maybe a USB port. Most of the best 4K projectors do not come with a VGA port for hooking up a computer. If you plan on mounting the projector, make sure you use only the mount kit that the manufacturer recommends.
As you’ll see in the next section, Sony has the 4K projector market locked down. Soon, other companies, like Epson and BenQ, will offer their own 4K projectors, which will bring down prices and give buyers more options.
Best 4K Projectors Comparison Guide
Reviews of the Top Rated 4K Projectors
The Sony VPLVW365ES continues to top our list as best 4K projector (it’s also a best 3D projector). Considered Sony’s “entry level” 4K projector, the VPLVW365ES is also one of the least expensive and best 4K projectors on the market. The VPLVW365ES boasts features like:
- True full 4K resolution
- 2D to 3D conversion
- 1080p to 4k upscaling
- MotionFlow to enhance fast moving action scenes for a non-blurred experience
- 6,000 hour lamp life
- Extended with eco-mode
With stunning image quality and clarity, perfect color rendering, and the ability to immerse yourself in full 3D, the Sony VPLVW365ES is one of the best 4k projectors available.
Despite costing more than some other HD projectors and 4K TVs, the Sony VPLVW365ES’s ground breaking technology is arguably worth the price. With Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube, and the future of video games headed towards 4K resolution, now is the perfect time to get with latest and greatest in entertainment.
The Sony VPL-VW500ES is a few hundred dollars more than the 365ES. It does, however, have a few awe-inspiring upgrades such as better contrast ratio and Reality Creation, which improves the quality of nearly any source (even standard definition DVDs). Other notable features of the VPL-VW500ES include:
- 200,000 : 1 contrast ratio
- 1,700 lumens
- SXRD panels for better color and less blurry movement
- USB port for firmware updates
- 60 frames per second in 4K
As Sony continues to expand on their 4K projector line, the VPL-VW500ES may be discontinued at some point, especially since the VPL-VW350ES is so similar and more popular.
The Sony VPL-VW665ES is nearly double the price of the highly praised VPL-VW365ES, but Sony believes it’s worth it, especially considering these key features:
- 300,000 : 1 contrast ratio
- 4K Upscaling with Reality Creation
- 6,000 hour lamp life
- Advanced SXRD panels for deepest black levels possible
These highly advanced features can only be found on Sony’s best 4K projectors. With these groundbreaking enhancements, the Sony VPL-VW665ES can turn any movie, game, or TV show into a breathtaking work of art. Of course, you’ll have to shell out some serious money, but this level of quality comes with a price.
JVC is a highly respected name in entertainment technology, and the DLA-X700R projector brings together some of the brand’s best innovations. Widely praised by critics as one of the best projectors on the market today, some of the JVC DLA-X700R’s features include:
- 1,300 lumens with a 4,000 hour lamp life
- 3 LCoS chips for stunning picture clarity and color
- 120,000 : 1 Contrast ratio
- E-Shift3 technology transforms 1080 HD content into a 4K like image
- THX 3D certified
It’s true, the JVC DLA-X700R isn’t really a 4K projector. It emulates 4K. Using its patented E-Shift system, this projector takes two 1080 HD images and combines them giving you an image with more pixels and a huge quality boost. The JVC DLA-X700R also accepts native 4K media, which won’t look as good as what a “real” 4K projector can do. However, for thousands less than what Sony is offering, the JVC DLA-X700R is a great buy.
(Visited 1,732 times, 1 visits today)