Law school is difficult enough without worrying about which laptop to choose. We did the dirty work for you, selecting the best laptop for law school available today. As a student, you’ll need a portable laptop with many hours of battery life and dependable durability. It should have plenty of disk space to save all your important files, and should be fast enough to research on the internet at lightning speeds. Getting the best laptop specific for your needs will make your course work that much easier, so let’s look at the top choices for the best laptops for law school students.
Top 10 Best Laptop for Law School Comparison Guide
What to Look for in the Best Laptop for Law School
You’ll be spending a lot of time in front your law school laptop. Here are some considerations when choosing the best laptops for law school:
- Portability. Portable laptops are small and light. They should fit in your backpack or purse for easy travel between classes, and some of the best laptop for law school models even double as a tablet for more versatility. All the laptops on our list are less than 15” and weigh less than 5lbs.
- Durability. Accidents happen. Will your laptop survive daily use? Thick plastic or metal chassis can protect the delicate hardware inside your laptop. Right-angled power supplies last longer than straight ones, and SSD storage is safer in a fall than HDD storage.
- Battery Life. You won’t always be able to plug in, so a long lasting battery is imperative. The best laptop for law school should have at least 6 to 8 hours of battery life.
- Disk Space. Nothing is worse than having to save your important school files on flash drives because your laptop ran out of disk space. We recommend no less than 128GB to get you through all three years of law school and beyond. SSD (solid state drives) are faster than HDD, or hard disk drives, but they’re also more expensive per GB.
- Warranties. It’s always wise to check the warranty information of your next big investment. Most of the best laptop for law school models offer at least a 1 year warranty with purchase. If you are clumsy or accident prone, a warranty is essential, and you may opt for extended warranties that last the length of your schooling.
We also selected computers with at least 4GB of RAM so you can comfortably run multiple applications. With the best laptops for law school, you never have to worry about opening too many tabs or running your favorite applications in the background during study time.
Top 3 Best Laptop for Law School Reviews
This is an all-around superb laptop that’s great for students of all kinds. It starts with a generous 14” touch screen, and is one of the best 2-in-1 laptop/tablet convertibles on the market today. It’s extremely portable at .75” thick and 3.85lbs, featuring a sturdy chassis and durable hinges. For those late night study sessions, the keyboard is strongly backlit for easy access.
Inside this machine you’ll enjoy 256GB of SSD storage, making this laptop faster and more durable than the HDD competition without compromising disk space. The Thinkpad Yoga 20FY0002US has a full 8GB of memory for quick, uninterrupted multitasking. This laptop is outfitted with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 940M, which isn’t a state of the art GPU, but for school work it’s more than adequate. There’s even a 720p webcam so you can have clear, defined video calls to your family and friends back home.
This laptop only lacks in battery life. You’ll get a full 6 hours with low-intensity applications like taking notes or writing papers, but with any media running or using multiple tabs online, you’ll get closer to 5 hours. Thanks to its flexibility, large storage space, and respectable RAM, the Yoga 20FY0002US should be considered a best laptop for law school.
If you’re not sold on the 2-in-1 convertible idea, we have a great standard laptop for you in the VAIO S. It features a 13.3” screen, perfect for fitting on cramped desks along with your text books and giant legal tomes. It’s actually even thinner than the Thinkpad at .71” thick, and weighs just 2.34lbs.
Even though this laptop is small and light, it’s extremely durable. It’s strong against shock damage both to the body and the screen, and can withstand everyday bending, twisting, and pressure. Better yet, if you’re the clumsy sort, there’s an affordable 3-year accident protection warranty to last through your school days.
With a 128GB SSD, you’ll have plenty of space to save text documents and even some media files to keep you sane while you do coursework. There’s 8GB of RAM, an HD display, and up to 9 hours of battery life per charge. This is a great workhorse of a laptop that will last years through daily use.
Sometimes, there’s a sense of quality and construction that only Mac can provide, and the MacBook Air MMGF2LL/A is no different. Of our top three, it is by far the thinnest and lightest, coming in at .6” thick and a mere 2.96lbs. You’ll be amazed how thin this laptop is, especially for its all-aluminum, single-piece chassis design.
Apple has finally jumped on the SSD train for its laptops, with this machine featuring a fast 128GB SSD. There are 8GB of RAM which is a slightly better GPU than the others on our list, and an impressive 12 hours of battery life. Like the VAIO, there is an affordable option for 3-year accident protection.
Connectivity options are a little light. This laptop has 1 Thunderbolt 2 port and 2 USB 3.0 ports, along with an audio jack. This should be enough for a student, though, and will accommodate an external CD drive. In all, this is a great looking laptop with a lot of power under the hood that’s likely to last you years after law school is over.