Whether you are a constant slideshow presenter, cat lover, hunter, or just a fan of DIY lightshows, it is important to have the best laser pointer for the job. From simple red dot lasers to high powered green lasers with beams that can span miles, laser pointers have come a long way since their earliest days on the consumer market. While purchasing a laser pointer doesn’t seem like it should be a complex matter, finding the right one to suit your needs and price range can be a little more complicated than you might think. That’s where we come in. This guide was designed to help match you with the laser pointer that is best for you.
Things to Consider About Laser Pointers
- Range. If you are intending to use a laser pointer for short distance purposes, the range of the laser beam may not be as crucial. However, for slideshow presentations controlled at the back of a large conference room you will want a beam that is powerful enough to reach the screen you’re pointing it at. Review the range and power level of the laser you’re thinking about buying.
- Beam Color. Do you want a red, green, or blue light? A kitten may chase a red dot for hours on end, while humans detect green light wavelengths more easily than their red counterparts. Because of the better visibility of the green light lasers, these devices may be a bit more expensive than their red light peers.
- Extra Features. The academic and business worlds are moving away from the blackboard and overhead short throw projector in favor of slideshow presentations. The laser pointer is gaining more and more favor with instructors and business professionals alike. In a world driven by technology, having extra features (such as a built in USB port) on your laser pointing device can be crucial.
- Size and Shape. Some of the best laser pointer models can be found built into full size tactical flashlights. However, lugging around a full size flashlight might be impractical for someone who needs it for office presentations. Luckily, these devices come in a variety of shapes and sizes from slim profile pen shaped that fit easily in a shirt pocket to large powerful laser pointers that require a holster.
- Price. Laser pointers, once rare and expensive, are now easy to find at affordable prices. Even some of the best multipurpose laser pointers can be found for cheap. Don’t be wooed into making a purchase until you have thoroughly explored pricing options.
Best Laser Pointer Top 10 Comparison Guide
Reviews of the Top Rated Laser Pointers
This best laser pointer gets the top spot on the best of list because of its cross compatibility and extra features. The seamlessly hidden USB port allows the user to control a slideshow presentation away from the computer and the device is compatible across multiple operating systems, including several versions of Windows, Mac, Linux and Android. You don’t have to be right beside your presenting laptop with this device. You can turn pages back and forth or go into full screen mode with just a click of a button. Additionally, the range is impressive at up to 90 feet.
This laser pointer will automatically go to sleep or standby mode to preserve the battery life, and it will emit a blinking light when the battery gets low. This means there is no need to worry about it dying on you mid presentation. It runs on one common AA battery, so you won’t have to hunt around for an obscure battery type when the power does get low. The best part of all is the low price. You get a laser pointer and presentation controller with power saving features at a price virtually anyone can afford.
This model features a built in, rechargeable lithium ion battery that can be charged up with ease via its USB port. This best laser pointer is also multi feature, with page up and page down buttons that allow you to control your slideshow presentations even from a distance. It is compatible with a variety of operating systems including both newer and older versions of Windows, Keynote, Linux and OS X for Mac.
Although it is somewhat more expensive than other similar devices, it does come with an 18 month warranty. We think this is definitely worth the small boost in price in case your device ever does malfunction.
This best laser pointer has a simple and sleek design akin to a small television remote control. Although it lacks the USB capabilities of the other top choices, for someone who wants an easy to use laser pointer without any added bells or whistles, this may be the one for you. It runs off of two AAA batteries and for such a small laser, the beam is powerful. Testing shows this laser was viewable at up to 600 feet away.
It is lightweight and has a design that will not cramp up your hands. It does have one bonus feature that the other top picks lack and that is a built in white light flashlight. This will come in handy when finding your way through the darkness of the parking garage after spending the afternoon giving a presentation. The price is also right on target. If you are looking for a basic yet solid laser pointer without having to break the bank, this may be perfect one for you.
(Visited 400 times, 1 visits today)