So you say you’ve got important presentations to give, or movies to show, or video game tournaments to host and you don’t have much space in which to operate? It sounds like you may be in need of the best short throw projector for your specific needs.
These wonderful little bundles of technological joy permit you to project large images (up to 300 inches) onto flat surfaces while they only sit two to three feet from the screen, and ultra short throw projectors can sit even closer! However, they come with numerous options and locating the one that’s right for you can be difficult. This buyer’s guide will assist you in selecting the best short throw projector.
Top 10 Best Short Throw Projector Comparison Guide
Best Short Throw Projector: Things to Consider
- Lumens. This derivative of illumination is simply the brightness of the projected image. The higher the number, the brighter the image. A projector with a higher lumen rating allows images to be visible even while the room lights remain on or when it’s difficult to restrict daylight. The average lumen number is 3000.
- Throw Ratio. This number is derived by dividing the width of the projected image by the distance the projector sits from the screen. The smaller the number, the smaller the required distance between projector and screen. For example, if the projector emits a 60 inch wide image while resting 30 inches from the screen, its throw ratio would be 0.50. The best short throw projectors can have a throw ratio as low as 0.38
- Lighting Source. Most projectors still utilize the popular digital light processing (DLP) technology…better known as the light bulb. They, of course need replaced and tend to lose their brilliance over time. The other options here are either light emitting diodes (LED), lasers or both. This solid-state technology rarely needs replaced and the brightness level does not degrade over time.
Benefits of Short Throw Projectors
Of course, the primary and most obvious benefit is the ability to project, or throw, large images in small, intimate spaces, such as a conference room, classroom, den, or man cave. Hell, they use this fact as the main selling point when they developed the name for this category of projectors…”short throw and ultra short throw.” The following list of secondary benefits are derived from the above primary benefit, and they are:
- Can’t be interrupted by some dolt walking between the projector and screen. Why not? Because they simply can’t fit! It’d be interesting to see someone attempting to slide between the projector and screen when they’re only two feet apart!
- No more walking into tables after being blinded by your projector. Again, since you can’t physically fit between the projector and screen, this now becomes an impossibility.
- The elimination of fuzzy, out-of-focus images due to distance. You’ve been there, right? Attempting, in vain, to enlarge an image by moving the projector back as you watch in horror as your chart becomes terribly distorted and misshapen. Problem solved.
Top 3 Best Short Throw Projector Reviews
This modestly priced and multi-use projector is perfect for the classroom, various business settings, and home use. It boasts ViewSonic’s BrilliantColor technology and a 6 segment color wheel that produces vivid, sharp and colorful images at close range.
Your sales charts, history notes, video clips, bar graphs and comparative tables will snap with clarity and precision with ViewSonic’s, and our, best short throw projector.
It can throw images as small as 30 inches and as large as 300 inches with no picture distortion and that’s what makes this projector at home in any number of settings.
Additional features that make this model so appealing are its 3000 lumens, which permits room lighting so that your colleagues or students can see what they’re writing as you present or teach and its filter-less design which gives you one less thing to replace over time. Simply stated, it’s a great combination of value and performance!
Don’t let the “gaming” tag create false limitations in your mind regarding this high-powered gem of a short-throw projector. Yes, hard-core gamers will absolutely love this model, but so too will corporate types, teachers, and movie aficionados.
The GT1080 has the best throw ratio of the top three models, and arrives complete with an HDMI cable and carry case due to its excellent portability which makes it easy to carry from hotel to conference room or over to your friend’s home for a serious, latenight gaming tournament.
The GT1080’s stunning 3D capability is yet another reason this model shines when compared to other, higher priced projectors out there. Whether or not you enjoy your movies or video games in the third dimension, this projector delivers, period!
The most affordable projector to make the list is also quite versatile. Whether you’re looking to create a cozy home theater, create a presentation space in your office or to upgrade your less than optimal gaming set up, this is the best short throw projector for you.
The color differentiation creates stunning and crystal clear videos, still images and animations that you can enjoy shortly after removing this projector from the box due to its quick set-up capabilities. It’s also perfect for an outdoor theater with which to entertain family and friends on warm summer nights. Just hang a sheet or use an inflatable screen and you’re ready to go.
To sum up, if you’re constrained by both space and budget, this projector confronts those constraints with both ease and superior talent.